Waste and Asbestos Disposal
There are four (4) locations within the Region where you can dispose of your waste: Charters Towers, Greenvale, Pentland and Ravenswood.
See more information about waste disposal locations.
To ensure that your visit is timely and hassle free, please adhere to all safety instructions and directions contained on all signage.
Each of the landfills is open at different times on different days, so to ensure a successful visit, please refer to the list of opening times.
To understand waste disposal and how it may apply to you, please visit the links provided below:
Who can deliver ACM (Asbestos Containing Material) for disposal?
- Legally - only approved transporters; or
- Residents carrying less than 250kg
Am I required to Contact Council prior to Disposal?
- No, for quantities less than 250kg
- Yes, for quantities over 250kg. Prior Notice of at least 48 hours is required.
Where can ACM (Asbestos Containing Material) be disposed of in the Charters Towers Region?
- One location only – Stubley Street Landfill, located at 1 Stubley Street, TOLL QLD 4820. Please contact Council for further information – 07 4761 5300
- Asbestos Disposal is limited to: Monday to Friday – 8:00am to 5:00pm.
Asbestos acceptance policy
- One location only – Stubley Street Landfill, located at 1 Stubley Street, TOLL QLD 4820.
- Council Weighbridge Staff have been given broad directions on types of material that could contain asbestos. If there is any doubt, the material will be regarded as if it does contain asbestos.
- Landfill staff require at least 48 hours notice for amounts greater than 250kg. Please contact council to advise on 07 4761 5300.
- Asbestos must have been wetted down and at least double wrapped in durable plastic so that the load is air tight.
- Unless load is delivered by tipping type vehicle, all wrapped bundles must be of a size manageable by 1-2 persons as Council officers or Contractors are not permitted to assist for safety liability reasons.
- Approved transporters must provide a completed waste transport certificate (or approved alternative) for each load of trackable waste. Contact should be made with the Department of Environment and Science (13 74 68) if more information is required on waste transport certificates.
What are the fees for disposing of ACM (Asbestos Containing Material)?
- Refer to Council's fees and charges page
For further information regarding Council’s waste management procedures, please contact Council as follows:
In person: Administration Centre, 12 Mosman Street, Charters Towers
Mail: PO Box 189, Charters Towers Qld 4820
Phone: 07 4761 5300