Sellheim is located 20 kilometres east of Charters Towers on the Flinders Highway. Sellheim was established in the early 1880s when the Great Northern Rail Line was being constructed.
The Burdekin Gold Mill, operated by the Day Dawn Block and Wyndham Gold Mining Company, was located on the banks of the Burdekin River at Sellheim from the late 1880s to the early 1900s.
The Burdekin Meatworks was also on the banks of the Burdekin River just downstream from the current Macrossan Road Traffic Bridge. It operated from approximately 1895 to 1930.
Nowadays, Sellheim has a population of approximately 50 people and has a service station/roadhouse known as the Burdekin Duck Roadhouse with accompanying caravan park/camping facilities.