Hervey Range

The Hervey Range township, with an estimated population of 150, is located at the top of Hervey Range, 39 kilometres north of Townsville and approximately 135 kilometres north east of Charters Towers (via Dotswood).

Hervey Range is home to the oldest known building in North Queensland, formerly the Eureka Hotel. Constructed in 1865 by pioneer settler, Charles Saville Rowe, the building has now been lovingly transformed back to its former glory and is now the home of the Hervey Range Heritage Tea Rooms.

Other attractions in this area include Hervey Range Quad Bikes, Pipers Lookout (commonly referred to as Hervey Range Lookout) and the former Greenvale Rail Trail, which runs up the range and into a tunnel in the mountain. The rail line was opened from Cobarra, north of Townsville, to the nickel mine in Greenvale in 1974.  It closed in 1993 with the closure of the mine. The line passed under Hervey Range through a series of tunnels. The tracks were removed and re-used by the State Government.