Complaints Management

Is my concern a Complaint or a Customer Request?

A complaint relates to the service, decisions or actions of the Council or its staff; or the conduct or performance of a councillor of a local government.  Complaints can include misconduct or inappropriate conduct of a Councillor or employee, development or contractual decisions of Council and competitive neutrality.

The following matters are Customer Requests and not complaints:

  • a request for information about Council services, policies or procedures
  • a request for service or action to be taken in relation to a service or product provided by Council, such as branches trimmed on a footpath tree or a rubbish bin fixed or missed
  • a report of damaged or faulty infrastructure or hazards, such as potholes or fallen branches
  • a suggestion for a proposed service or product improvement, such as additional kerbside clean up events
  • an enquiry or request for clarification or more information, such as a question about the environment levy on a rates bill
  • a follow up or further request for service that has not been completed by Council but is still within the timeframe advised to the customer, such as the customer was told their rubbish bin would be collected within three days and the customer contacted Council again within one day.
  • a petition to Council about a particular matter

If you require further information about complaints management at Council, please refer S0014 Complaints Policy & Procedure.

How to make a complaint

All complaints should be addressed to the Chief Executive Officer.

Please lodge your complaint using one of the following methods:

  • In Person: Administration Centre - 12 Mosman Street
  • Online form
  • Phone: 07 4761 5300
  • Mail: PO Box 189 Charters Towers QLD 4820

How your complaint will be investigated

When you let us know about your complaint, the complaint will be initially assessed by the Governance Department, who will determine the appropriate Department/Officer who is best placed to respond. The relevant Department/Officer will investigate the issue and in consultation with the Governance Department will provide a response.

A Council officer may contact you to discuss your concerns or to ask for further information.

Council will then respond to your complaint, providing reasons for Council's position on the matter. The reasons will outline if your complaint is substantiated or unsubstantiated and how that decision was reached.

If you are dissatisfied with any part of the decision, you can apply for internal review.  This review will be undertaken by an officer more senior to the original decision maker and the reviewing officer is required to review the decision with fresh eyes.

How long it will take

Council will do its best to resolve your complaint within 25 business days, depending on the nature and complexity of your complaint. If there is a delay, the council officer will contact you to advise of the circumstances and the estimated time for receiving the response.

You should be aware that by lodging a complaint, the matter will not be automatically suspended or put on hold.

Further action

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your concerns, following an internal review, you have the right to take your complaint to an external agency, such as the Queensland Ombudsman or Judicial Review.

If you believe that the complaint involves crime or corruption on the part of a councillor or council officer, this may be reported to the Crime and Corruption Commission to be dealt with externally.