Building Permit

Applying for a Building Permit

Building Works in Queensland are regulated by the Building Act 1975 and the Planning Act 2016 and are assessed against the National Construction Code and the relevant Australian Standards. All assessable building work is required to have the appropriate approvals and it is an offence under the Planning Act 2016 if not obtained.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • No, building work can be approved through Council or a private certifier.  A private certifier must be accredited through the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) and will provide advice on building work and whether the work requires building approval.  A private certifier is not permitted to design the building or carry out the building works, this will need to be done through a draftsman or builder.

  • A Building Application requires the following documentation:

    Please note, further information may be required in addition to the items listed above dependent on the property and what is proposed.

  • Refer to Council’s ‘Reclassification from Class 10a to Class 1a Fact Sheet or further information.

  • A Development Application is required where:

    • Replacing more than 20% of the total number of roof battens, rafters or trusses;
    • Replacing more than 20% of the total number of footings; or
    • Undertaking demolition work of any kind.


    Building works re-roof, re-stump and demolition fact sheet

  • On the 1 November 2013, new laws were implemented that would affect proposed Building Works that would commence over or near sewers, water mains, stormwater drains or combined sanitary drains (relevant infrastructure).

    As a result, all Building Works on or near relevant infrastructure must be assessed and deemed compliant with the Queensland Development Code (QDC) Mandatory Part 1.4 (MP 1.4) ‘Building Over or Near Relevant Infrastructure

  • Where you are the owner of a property and wish to undertake Building Works at a total value more than $11,000, you will be required to obtain an Owner Builder Permit from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC). For more information on obtaining an Owner Builder Permit, please click here

  • Council can undertake a building search over the property to locate the approved house plans.  Please note some older homes in our Region may not have house plans. If you are not the landowner, you will need to provide consent before Council can release the plans. (Fees may apply)

  • The Queensland Government issues regular updates on the building and plumbing industry.  To keep up to date, see the News Flashes here.

For any further enquiries, please contact Council’s Planning & Development Team on 07 4761 5300.