Working For Us
Charters Towers Regional Council offers very favourable working conditions including the following possibilities, some of which depend on the role, the working area or duration of employment or service with Council.
Code of Conduct
All Charters Towers Regional Council staff are required, under the Code of Conduct, to act with honesty, integrity and diligence and to exercise a high degree of care when carrying out their functions of office.
Council will employ all employees, other than casual employees, on an initial probationary period of three (3) months. The purpose of the probationary period is to:
- Review progress against objectives, including the employee's attitude and behaviour;
- Provide constructive feedback on the employee's performance and discuss any concerns;
- Ensure the employee is satisfied with the role; and
- Identify any training or development needs.
Work arrangements may include (where operational requirements permit):
- Rostered days off (RDO) for Full Time staff either working a 19 day month (Indoor staff) or 9 day fortnight (Outdoor staff); or
- Part-time work.
- Wages are paid fortnightly into the employee's nominated bank account
- All permanent employees are required to contribute to the Local Government Employees Superannuation Scheme within 12 months of their appointment
- Negotiated employment conditions in accordance with Council's current Certified Agreement
- Personal leave (sick leave/carer's leave) for permanent employees - 15 days for "Indoor" staff or 10 days sick leave for "Outdoor" staff
- Long service leave is accessible after seven (7) continuous years' service
- Five (5) weeks annual leave for permanent roles
- Annual leave loading of 17.5%
- Paid maternity, partner and adoption leave
At Charters Towers Regional Council we offer challenging and rewarding career paths that encourage improvement, employee development, training and career progression.
We understand the importance of family life and the needs of employees looking for a work/family life balance and we have a strong focus on improving the health and wellbeing of all staff throughout the organisation.
- Annual salary increases as negotiated
- Employee Recognition
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Conference Attendance
- Staff development and training
Work Health and Safety
Council is committed to a safe and healthy work environment. Comprehensive work health and safety policies and procedures are in place to ensure employees are not placed at risk while at work.
Smoke Free Environment
Council is committed to providing a smoke free work environment.
Christmas Close Down
The Chief Executive Officer and Council decide upon a Christmas/New Year close down period each year. During the close down period, the Council operates with a skeleton crew providing the perfect opportunity for families to be together over the holiday season.
Staff Development and Training
Charters Towers Regional Council is committed to ongoing staff development and training. Employees are encouraged and supported to attend training and undertake study in approved courses.
Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program provides professional counselling and referral services for employees and their families experiencing personal or work related problems. This Program is at no cost to the employee and is provided on a confidential basis.
Health and Wellbeing
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free membership of the Paraplegic Benefit Fund
- Quit Assist Program
- Corporate uniforms
- Payroll deductions for payments, donations and Council rates
- Salary packaging
- Social Club benefits