Councillor message - Draft Planning Scheme - Cr Mike Power
In the coming weeks, Council will release the draft Charters Towers Regional Planning Scheme for community consultation.
The proposed Planning Scheme will replace the current Charters Towers and Dalrymple Shire Planning Schemes.
The proposed Regional Planning Scheme will detail Council’s plan for the future direction of the Region. It will provide an updated framework for planning and development and aims to foster economic development.
It supports a greater range of land uses such as alternative business and tourism opportunities within the Rural and Townships Zones.
Planning Schemes must take into account State interests and some of the requirements for our Planning Scheme include:
- Greater protection of fishery, aquatic ecosystems and aboriginal cultural heritage
- Greater protection of the Region’s stock routes
- Refinements to the Flood Hazard Overlay mapping by using the existing Queensland
- Reconstruction Authority Level 2 mapping (within Pentland, Sellheim, in addition to Charters Towers City), and
- Clarifications for roads, administrative definitions, zoning changes and Ergon infrastructure.
As the new plan affects the whole Region, feedback will be sort from the community starting Monday 4 February and finishing on Friday 29 March 2019.
I want to encourage the community to ask questions and provide feedback when the plan is released next month.
- Councillor Mike Power
OGG 10 January 2019