Northern Alliance of Councils IncorporatedBack
The North Queensland Local Government Association voted on 26 July 2017 at its Annual General Meeting to incorporate under a new body entitled the "Northern Alliance of Councils".
Charters Towers Regional Council is the Secretariat for the Northern Alliance of Councils Incorporated (NAOC).
The Northern Alliance of Councils Inc represents local governments in Queensland whose area, or part thereof, is north of the Tropic of Capricorn. Under the association's constitution, the aim of the association is "to render every possible assistance to the Local Governments constituted under the Local Government Act and who are affiliated with the association by taking whatever action is deemed advisable and which will tend to the development of North Queensland and the welfare of its residents." The Constitution is available here.
The NAOC Executive is comprised of:
- President - Mayor Liz Schmidt, Charters Towers Regional Council
- Vice President - Cr John Woods, Burdekin Shire Council
- Executive Member - Cr Kevin Casey, Mackay Regional Council
- Executive Member - Cr Roy Prior, Palm Island Aboriginal Shire Council
- Executive Member - Mayor Belinda Murphy, Mckinlay Shire Council
- Executive Member - Mayor Julia Leu, Douglas Shire Council
- Executive Member - Mayor Joe Paronella, Tablelands Regional Council
- Secretary - Mr Aaron Johansson, Chief Executive Officer, Charters Towers Regional Council
The Secretariat is available at firstname.lastname@example.org,or by phoning Mrs Helen Dixon on 4761 5354. The Organisation's postal address is PO Box 189, Charters Towers QLD 4820.
The association holds an annual conference hosted by a member council in its catchment area. Councillors, local and State government officers, major companies and other stakeholders attend the event. The programme for the conference includes the general meeting and the annual general meeting of the association, and a number of presentations from guest speakers who provide information and discuss current topics of interest to local governments (including LGAQ).
The Northern Alliance of Councils conference is a wonderful opportunity for councillors to network with other councillors from across North Queensland, and offers the following benefits:
- An avenue to discuss issues of concern;
- Learn of new initiatives in Local Government;
- Presentations from Government Ministers and their departments which provide up to date information about current legislation, funding opportunities, projects, and plans for the future; and
- Presentations on interesting community events and projects.
Tablelands Regional Council hosted the 2017 conference on 26-28 July 2017 themed "Bringing local government into the 21st century" . Presentation materials are now available for download at www.trc.qld.gov.au/nqlga-conference-2017/.
Minutes of the 2017 General Meeting and Annual General Meeting are now available.
The 2018 Conference was the inaugural conference of the Northern Alliance of Councils Inc and was hosted by Hinchinbrook Shire Council in Ingham from 21-23 August 2018.
The Program for the 2018 Conference is available here.