« Back

Charters Towers - Free public Wi-Fi to launch

 

The community and visitors will soon be able to access free public Wi-Fi at major public locations within Charters Towers.
 
The Wi-Fi hotspots were funded as part of the Smart Cities project and the IT communications network expansion, which included fibre optic cable installation and additional security cameras.
 
The Smart Cities project was 60% funded by grant funding from the Local Government Grants and Subsidies Program. Council funded the remainder to comply with Council’s 40% funding requirements.
 
The IT expansion works were fully funded by Works for Queensland Scheme, an initiative of the Queensland Government.
 
Starting 4 November 2019, free public Wi-Fi will be available along Gill Street, Kennedy Regiment Memorial Pool, sections of Centenary Park, a small section of Lissner Park, the airport, Dalrymple Saleyards, Towers Hill (at the lookout and bunkers), Council offices, including the Visitor Information Centre, World Theatre and the Excelsior Library.
 
Mayor Liz Schmidt said the free public Wi-Fi is great for the community and for tourism.
 
“This is a fantastic service for our community and we’re excited to be able to offer free public Wi-Fi.
 
“Providing public internet allows Charters Towers to join other communities in becoming a more connected and accessible city. It’s a great advantage for our community.
 
“Visitors will also benefit as they can access information about our local businesses and attractions while they’re here.
 
“As promised, we’ve been able to hide away equipment and cabling to maintain the heritage look of our town. I want to thank the community and all the businesses on Gill and Mosman Streets for your patience during the installation earlier this year.”
 
Minister for Local Government Stirling Hinchliffe praised the Charters Towers Regional Council for delivering the Wi-Fi hotspots for the community.
 
“This is a tremendous initiative by the council and will be of enormous benefit to locals and visitors to this beautiful part of Queensland,” Mr Hinchliffe said.
 
“The Queensland Government is proud to have a played a part with more than $615,000 allocated to the Smart Cities Project and more than $260,000 to the IT Expansion through the Local Government Grants and Subsidies Program and Works for Queensland.”
 
Anyone within close proximity to a hotspot will be able to access the free Wi-Fi 7 days a week. Signal strength can vary depending on surrounding buildings, trees, weather conditions, number of users and interference from other wireless devices. Usage will be limited to 500 megabytes per day.
 
“We expect the community and visitors to use the Wi-Fi appropriately and in a ‘community-minded’ manner. All Users will need to agree to Council’s terms and conditions before access is granted,” said the Mayor.
 
Terms and conditions will be available on Council’s website www.charterstowers.qld.gov.au.
 
OGG 31 October 2019