Regulated Work

Regulated Work must be performed by a licensed Plumber and they must only perform the Regulated Work covered by their licence. For example, a licensed Drainer can perform Regulated Drainage Work. An application for Compliance Assessment must be submitted to be assessed for compliance with the technical standards for plumbing and drainage and approval must be issued prior to the commencement of any Regulated Work. To aid the process of submitting your Development Application please see the below Information Sheet:

Any licensed Plumber that performs Plumbing and Drainage Work must ensure it is compliant with the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002. Once the Regulated Work has been satisfactorily completed and inspected by Council, a final Compliance Certificate will be issued.



Upon the approval of a Development Application, mandatory inspections must be carried out by a Plumbing Inspector to ensure that the Plumbing or Drainage Works are undertaken in accordance with the approved plans and specifications.

Council’s Plumbing Inspector is available between 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday upon appointment with fees dependent upon either the type of application and/or the location of the subject site within the region.


Notifiable Work

Notifiable Work extends the amount of work a Plumber or Drainer can perform without a Local Government Compliance Certificate or mandatory inspection. Notifiable work is defined in Schedule 2 of the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003It includes most Plumbing and Drainage Work performed in existing homes including:

  • Kitchen and bathroom additions or renovations;
  • Installing or replacing hot water heaters;
  • Installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks in an existing home; and/or
  • Extending or altering pipe work.

This Notifiable Work Reference Guide provided by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) may help in providing you greater guidance for your development.


Minor Work

Minor Work is Plumbing and Drainage Work that be performed without Council approval providing the work is performed by a licensed Plumber. There are two categories of minor work:

  1. Notifiable Minor Work; and
  2. Other Minor Work.

Within 20 business days of completing the work, a Form 4 (Notifiable Minor Work) must be submitted to the QBCC by the licensed Plumber that performed the work. Council do not have to inspect all Notifiable Minor Work, but it may be assessed for compliance with technical standards.


Unregulated Work

Unregulated Work is Plumbing and Drainage Work that does not require a licence to perform, or any Council approvals or notification. Some examples are:

  • Sanitary Plumbing and Sanitary Drainage.
  • Water Plumbing.
  • Work on stormwater drainage is considered unregulated work.


Onsite Sewerage Systems

Many properties in the region are not connected to a reticulated sewerage system. The treatment and disposal of all wastewater generated on these properties must be undertaken by an onsite sewerage system that stores, treats and disposes of household wastewater on the property. Poorly sited or maintained onsite sewerage facilities can impact public health and the environment. The owner of the facility is responsible for ensuring the system is maintained and functioning properly. If you are considering the requirements for an onsite sewerage system, Council has developed the below Information Sheet for your assistance:



Backflow prevention devices control the risk of backflow of potentially polluted or contaminated water into drinking and bathing water supply systems from commercial, retail, industrial, educational, health or other generally non-residential related land uses. There are several types of backflow prevention devices available that can only be installed, inspected and tested by a licensed plumber with a backflow prevention device endorsement.

Backflow prevention devices are regulated by the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003. An owner of an installed testable backflow prevention device must register the device with Council and at least once each year have the device inspected or tested by a person who is licensed to do the work. A person that inspects or tests a testable backflow prevention device must, within 10 business days after inspecting or testing the device, give the local government written results of the inspection or test in the approved form.

To remind the owner that their backflow prevention device is due for testing, Council issue a First and Final Notice at the beginning of the month that the device is due to be tested. Failure to comply with the notice will result in a Show Cause Notice being issued, and then an Enforcement Notice with legal ramifications if no action is taken. To aid the process of better understanding your obligations, see the below Information Sheet:


Trade Waste

Trade waste is liquid waste generated from any industry, business, trade or manufacturing premises, other than domestic sewage from a hand basin, shower, bath, toilet or other domestic fixture.

Trade waste must not be discharged into Council's sewer unless the waste generator and owner of the premises from which Category 1 and 2 wastes are discharged have been granted a Trade Waste Permit or the owner, waste generator and Council have negotiated and signed an Agreement for Category 3 discharges. The trade Waste Permit and Agreement set out the conditions by which Council will allow trade waste to be discharge to the sewer and the obligations of the owner and the waste generator, when the generator is not the owner.

To obtain a Trade Waste Permit or Agreement, the waste generator, owner or authorised agent must complete and submit, with supporting information, Councils approved form. The application must be signed by both the owner (or agent) and the waste generator when the generator is not the owner.

For more information in relation of any of the material above, please contact Council’s Planning and Development Department on (07) 4761 5300.