CTRC Planning ServicesBack
Current Planning Schemes
A Planning Scheme, commonly referred to as the ‘Town Plan’ is a regulatory document that guides and determines changes to the way land, buildings and structures are used within the Local Government Area to which the Planning Scheme Applies. In the instance of the Charters Towers Regional Council Area, two Planning Schemes are currently in effect being:
Both Planning Schemes categorise land into zones and with specific assessment levels for Reconfiguration of a Lot, Material Change of Use, Building Works Assessable and Operational Works. Dependent upon the type and nature of your development, differing codes and policies of the Planning Scheme will apply. For more information on preparing and lodging your Development Application, the following is provided:
- Reconfiguration of a Lot – Information Sheet
- Material Change of Use – Information Sheet
- Building Works Assessable– Information Sheet
- Operational Works – Information Sheet
Regulated Infrastructure Charges
Statutory Policy S0039 - Adopted Infrastructure Charges (former Charters Towers City planning area) was adopted at the General Meeting of Council held 10 August 2011 with a focus on encouraging economic development by setting charges below the State maximum charge allowable. The Infrastructure Charges Resolution only applies to development within the former Charters Towers City Local Government Area and to development for Reconfiguring a Lot, Material Change of Use of Premises and carrying out of Building Work.
Draft Charters Towers Regional Planning Scheme
On 18 April 2018 at Council's General Meeting, Council resolved to commence the preparation of a new Regional Planning Scheme under the Planning Act 2016. The draft Regional Planning Scheme, when adopted, will provide for a single land use framework for the entire Charters Towers Region. It will consolidate and replace the Aligned Charters Towers Planning Scheme 2011 and the Aligned Planning Scheme for Dalrymple Shire 2006.
How will it affect you?
How can I view the Draft Planning Scheme?
Can I talk to a Council Planner?
- Hervey Range - Hervey Range Community Hall 3pm-7pm Friday 8 February 2019
- Charters Towers - Excelsior Library 3pm-7pm Tuesday 12 February 2019
- Greenvale - Greenvale Community Hall 3pm-7pm Wednesday 13 February 2019
- Pentland - Pentland Soldiers Memorial Hall 3pm-7pm Monday 18 February 2019
- Ravenswood - Ravenswood School of Arts Hall 4pm-8pm Wednesday 20 February 2019
- Charters Towers - Excelsior Library 3pm-7pm Wednesday 13 February 2019
How can I make a Submission?
Development Decisions and Exemption Certificates
The delivery of timely sustainable development outcomes is at the forefront of the Council’s Planning and Development Department. If you are interested in viewing one the most recent planning approvals for the Region, see below:
Council's Planning and Development Department is available to provide more information in relation of any of the above - please contact them on (07) 4761 5300.