Who can deliver ACM (Asbestos Containing Material) for disposal?
- Legally - only approved transporters; or
- Residents carrying less than 250kg
Am I required to Contact Council prior to Disposal?
- No, for quantities less than 250kg
- Yes, for quantities over 250kg. Prior Notice of at least 48 hours is required.
Where can ACM (Asbestos Containing Material) be disposed of in the Charters Towers Region?
- One location only – Stubley Street Landfill, located at 1 Stubley Street, TOLL QLD 4820. Please contact Council for further information – 07 4761 5300
- Asbestos Disposal is limited to: Monday to Friday – 8:00am to 5:00pm.
Asbestos acceptance policy
- One location only – Stubley Street Landfill, located at 1 Stubley Street, TOLL QLD 4820.
- Council Weighbridge Staff have been given a broad directions on types of material that could contain asbestos. If there is any doubt, the material will be regarded as if it does contain asbestos.
- Landfill staff require at least 48 hours' notice for amounts greater than 250kg. Please contact council to advise on 07 4761 5300.
- Asbestos must have been wetted down and at least double wrapped in durable plastic so that the load is air tight.
- Unless load is delivered by tipping type vehicle, all wrapped bundles must be of a size manageable by 1-2 persons as Council officers or Contractors are not permitted to assist for safety liability reasons.
- Approved transporters must provide a completed waste transport certificate (or approved alternative) for each load of trackable waste. Contact should be made with the Department of Environment & Heritage Protection (13 74 68) if more information is required on waste transport certificates.
What are the fees for disposing of ACM (Asbestos Containing Material)?
- Refer 2016/17 - Refuse charges (www.charterstowers.qld.gov.au/fees-and-charges)